HOLISTIC ORCHARD TREE FRUITS AND BERRI ES THE BIOLOGICAL WAY /
In this volume, orchard guru Michael Phillips takes readers ‘beyond organic’ and into the universe of holistic growing practices – a place where backyard and small commercial fruit growers maintain a balanced orchard ecology and don’t just substitute hard-hitting organic sprays for chemical ‘controls’.
Winner of the American Horticulture Society Book Award
“Phillip’s first-hand knowledge anchors this innovative and highly readable book in practical wisdom that both beginner and long-time fruit growers will find invaluable.”-Toby Hemenway, author of Gaia’s Garden
Many people want to grow fruit on a small scale but lack the insight to be successful orchardists. As The Holistic Orchard illustrates, growing tree fruits and berries is something virtually anyone can do. A holistic grower knows that producing fruit is not about manipulating nature but more importantly, fostering nature.
The Holistic OrchardÂ demystifies the basic skills everybody should know about the orchard ecosystem, focusing on:
- Orchard design
- Soil biology
- Organic health management
- Choosing the right varieties for your climate
Includes a step-by-step instructional calendar to guide growers through the entire orchard year!
Fruit profiles include:
- pome fruits (apples, pears, asian pears, quinces)
- stone fruits (cherries, peaches, nectarines, apricots, plums)
- berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, gooseberries, currants, and elderberries)
Phillips completely changed the conversation about healthy orcharding with his first bestselling book,Â The Apple Grower, and now he takes that dialogue even further by exploring:
- The connections between home orcharding and permaculture
- The importance of native pollinators
- Plantings with shade-tolerant berry bushes and other insectary plants
- Information on cover crops and biodiversity
- Safe, homegrown solutions to pest and disease challenges
All along the way, Phillips’ expertise and enthusiasm for healthy growing shines through, as does his ability to put the usual horticultural facts into an integrated ecology perspective. With The Holistic OrchardÂ in your hand you have every reason in the world to confidently plant that very first-or next-fruit tree!